Saturday 24 October 2009

Falling Behind Already sitrep

18:53 24/10/2009

Where does the time go? Tempus blinking fugit.

One of the benefits of living alone is to be able to dispense with the TV.
No more 'reality' shows (reality?), no more talent contests, soap operas, infotainment, modern 'humour,' modern 'music,' and no more 'celebrities.'
Most of all, no more adverts and no more News.'
So, no TV now, for about six years. But i still indulge in 'escapism'  in a big way. I love a good movie or even more a good tv series,some of which I will list at the end of this bit.
If i am not actually at the computer i am usually reading a book, drawing or writing. The less i have to deal with 'reality' the better as far as i am concerned.

As an experiment i decided to cut myself even further off - if i could - and now i refuse to read/listen to/watch any 'news' bulletins, avoiding the radio most of all, bye bye auntie Beeb.
I am curious if
a) i will go completely mad at some point ands even if I will notice it
or
b) it makes absolutely NO difference to my life whatsoever.

But this has been much harder to acheive than i ever imagined: 'the News' STILL gets in somehow.

I read in a book recently that 'chat' -or 'gossip' - which is also chat - accounts for 80%+ of all human conversation and it is how we learn most of what we need to know for daily survival.
Living as a recluse my ability to 'chat' is limited, yet the news still gets through despite my desire to ignore it all. Bits of news i must subconsciously rate as important and relevant, still get filed away in my short term memory. Amazing to me.

So next year i must see if i have the nerve to go the next step - and cut off this broadband connection too.
If i do, i can almost guarantee some form of madness for next year.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment